Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Flag from 9-11 Tribute is 'Lost' say its Owners

Flag from 9-11 tribute is 'lost,' say its owners
June 15, 2005

BOB IVRYKnight Ridder Newspapers

HACKENSACK, N.J. - It's one of the most famous flags in American history, destined to take its place alongside Francis Scott Key's star-spangled banner and the symbol of sacrifice and triumph at Iwo Jima.

It's the flag hoisted at Ground Zero on Sept. 11, 2001, by three New York City firefighters, immortalized in a photo and taken to heart by millions as an emblem of the loss and heroism of that horrible day.

And nobody knows where the flag is.

The flag raised over the ruins of the World Trade Center was taken by firefighter Dan McWilliams from the Star of America yacht, docked near the site. It measured 3 feet by 5 feet. The flag returned a year later to the yacht's owners, Spiros Kopelakis and Shirley Dreifus, measured 5 feet by 8 feet.

It wasn't the same flag.

"The city of New York lost the flag," Dreifus said.

She and Kopelakis say they tried suing the city administration to get them to find the flag, but their lawsuit seeking $525,000 in damages fizzled. Dreifus said that after Sept. 11, their commercial yacht business foundered, and she and Kopelakis ran out of money. The suit is no longer active, she said.

"The reason we came forward to say the flag was lost was so nobody could sell it on eBay," Dreifus said. "It belongs in a museum, where people can see it. Or it belongs downtown. I have absolutely no idea where it is."

Dreifus said that she and her husband planned to donate the flag to the Smithsonian Institution. They believe the original flag was taken from Ground Zero soon after Sept. 11, because the larger flag bears the signatures of Rudolph Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg and other dignitaries who visited the site less than two weeks after the attacks on the Twin Towers.

The larger flag flew on U.S. ships serving in the war in Afghanistan, then was returned to New York in March 2002 to tour firehouses and police stations. It came back to Dreifus and Kopelakis when they planned a benefit cruise for fallen firefighters in 2002.

Calls for comment from New York City officials were not immediately returned.

The photo by the Bergen County (N.J.) Record's Tom Franklin Franklin seemed, more than any other image, to capture that day's conflicting emotions of anger, sadness and pride. Franklin said that even now, he receives messages from people who were moved by the image.

"The flag should be treated as historic," Franklin said. "The photo has meant so much to so many people. It saddens me to know the flag is not being treated with respect."

5 Comments:

Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi "Faces of the Brave", I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on digital forum photography, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about digital forum photography.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi "Faces of the Brave", you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on digital forum photography when I found your page. Your site describing Flag from 9-11 Tribute is 'Lost' say its Owners is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on digital forum photography then drop by the site above and check it out.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi "Faces of the Brave", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on life photography still I somehow ended up on your page. As your Flag from 9-11 Tribute is 'Lost' say its Owners is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about life photography still, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi "Faces of the Brave", I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on digital forum photography, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about digital forum photography.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi "Faces of the Brave", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on digital photography review I somehow ended up on your page. As your Flag from 9-11 Tribute is 'Lost' say its Owners is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about digital photography review, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home